Friday, March 24, 2017

Petting Camels

The funny thing about life is no matter where you go, people are still people.



I'm sitting on a pillow by a low table watching Arab boys laugh and joke as the go "snowboarding" down a sand dune. So much laughter, so much joy.



A stronger than slight breeze blows, making it a perfect temperature after the sweltering sun sank down behind the dunes.



The desert goes on for miles; camels, robed men with turbans on their heads, beautiful, covered women with carefully done makeup take selfies with their lovers.



Everything seems so similar to everywhere else in the world. Just a different outfit and a different language.



Little kids run and play, as always, they're my favorite and I wish I had some bit of energy so I could play with them.



Today, my one short introduction to Arab life in the UAE, and I realize that I could easily come back and stay awhile.



It's beautiful and mysterious; I want to know more of this culture so often looked down on by nearly everyone I know.



Ryan and I arrived in Abu Dhabi after a 15 hour plane ride to a welcomed warm breeze and palm trees. The city is rich; you can see it in the cars and buildings (the ferrari building flying in for example) and in every citizens' pride in dress and makeup.



There are countless mosques, driving through the city I lost count.



All have different shapes and sizes of beautiful domes and towers that light up like Christmas at night.



I never realized the womens outfits held so much variety. Lace, colors, patterns, scarfs; same full dress, but nothing the same about it. It's beautiful. Other women wear jeans and colorful shirts and the only thing tying them into the culture they live is their covered head.



Some men wear modern jeans and shirts, others wear caps, others are fully covered in robes. I long to get to know them all, why they dress as they do, how the fully robed beliefs differ from those wearing jeans.



After getting through customs and recieving a beautiful UAE stamp in the passport, we were directed to a free hotel room thanks to the airline and our long layover.



Then, we grabbed a taxi to the mosque. Unfortunetly on fridays it is closed to the public until 2:30 so we didnt get a chance to go in, but even from the outside it was magestic. Songs and prayers could be heard coming from the inside.



3:00 pm we were picked up by a crazy turbaned boy wearing camo pants and driving a land rover.



And we headed to the desert. There are no words to decribe the thrill of his wreckless driving as we flew over the sand dunes, up and down steep inclines holding on for our lives and laughing at our trust in the stranger named Saad.



We stopped at a Camel farm and saw theee cutest babies.



They just reminded me of cows, so I loved the strange, lip droopy creatures from the beginning.



So we rode one. Poor things clearly didnt want to be giving tourist rides.



The rest of the night was spent in a camp type place...



...eating traditional Arab food of curry, chicken, lamb, potatoes, strange spicey noodles, and general deliciousness...



...and seeing dances, talking to the cute kiddos about their pet falcon...







...and getting a henna tattoo! I have wanted one forever, and what better place to get one?



This natural ink dye will be stuck on my hand for a month or two.



A fast, crazy sand dune jumping ride with Saad and we headed back to the airport hotel for some much needed sleep to catch the next flight.



Abu Dhabi. An enchanting place that if not for the 15 hour flight, I'd be back soon.

I love this world.






No comments:

Post a Comment