Saturday, October 1, 2016

I can't Belize it.

Not going to lie, half of me doesn't want to blog about these first four days of my trip because my goal in life is not to make people jealous. :)

I didn't plan on going on "vacation" in Belize but when you have no plans and simply go where the wind takes you, sometimes it happens.


This is a teaching trip, really. But since I have two weeks before I am scheduled to start working in Guatemala, I decided to fly into new country #17 and check out Belize.

As I arrived with the typical new-places excitement and euphoria, I was greeted with reggae and dread heads, tie die and the smell of weed filling the streets. I had been expecting something of a Latino country, but Belize is definitely Afro-Caribbean, and it is incredible.


My first impression was that I was in Jamaica, not a country nestled between Guatemala and Mexico. They all speak English, but they have such a laid back beach drawl I usually only catch half of what they're trying to say. They are also ridiculously friendly. Easily the most outgoing, selfless, and friendly people I've ever met. Everywhere, people call out to ask if you need help, or just to talk. It's refreshing to feel so welcomed as a foreigner.

The first stop, undecided until my layovers on the way here, was Hopkins, basically because it was the cheapest hostel I could find. After 20 hours of flights and layovers, I began a 4 hour bus journey on an old school bus through the Belize countryside. Mostly flat with tropical fields, with a few houses and mountains thrown in.


The bus boy told me he would tell me when it was time to get off, but after a few miles of no longer seeing Hopkins signs, I caught his eyes to see an embarrassed smile. I thought they might back up like they do when they forget to pick someone up, but instead they stopped, said good luck, and kept driving. So I started walking...


It was only about 85 degrees and I was only carrying 40 pounds on my back and wearing tshirt and jeans...it wasn't too hot. :P

Thankfully after a few minutes a couple stopped and offered a ride. They were originally from Bangladesh and on their honeymoon, and happened to be going to Hopkins, so the wonderful souls gave me a ride right to the doorstep of funky dodo hostel.


The hostel was wonderful, comfortable, chill, a two minute walk to the beach, and currently home to just three others. We became traveling buddies, and decided that the next morning we would go hiking on a Jaguar reserve to some waterfalls.


As we hiked, it poured. It got muddy. Rain rivers ran down the trails. We slipped. Got soaked. But, it was beautiful, because it kept the intense sun away and detected the killer Mosquitos. 


We arrived in a little over an hour to swim under beautiful waterfalls, and the sun came out. Can't complain. 


We also found this pretty sick plain that had crashed while the pilot was monitoring Jaguars. He was fine...the plane wasn't, but we didn't see any big cats..



After the hiking adventure, we decided that we didn't want to pay the $25 for a taxi, so we started walking. Luckily, we got picked up pretty quickly by an adventuring couple, then hitched a ride in the back of two different trucks. Free rides. Cool people. Yes. :)


Of course, later I found some kids in a field and couldn't help but stay and play with them for two days. They rode around on their stick horses and wanted to know all about my real ones.




They always asked if I was coming back when I left, and were so excited to see me when I came back. They were also pretty excited to show me their library. Just a little different than ours in the states, and way more kids hanging out there.


 

After Hopkins, I felt that deep need to move, so I booked a hostel on an island, got the bus with a few friends, then hopped a boat for an hour long ride into paradise.



So now, I'm sitting on the beach. Listening to fun music and people playing corn hole and talking to new people. Someone just stole someone's boat, as the owners back was to the water. There was a few minutes of yelling and swearing, but now the owner is back laughing and talking to tourists. All in the laid back mentality. It's so chill...nothing phases anyone. Walking along the beach, everyone is sitting around, visiting. I talked to countless and they say, "that's how we do life here." 

Something beautiful for sure.



1 comment: